Seeing the Light- 5 Steps to Making Dreams Come True

I've been struggling in the darkness for weeks now but today something happened that made me see the light around me. My negativity was consuming me and hopelessness was dragging me down. Sometimes you can be so desperate for a way out that you cannot see clearly. I feel like I have finally figured out some things that will help me change my life and I am sharing them here in the hope that it will help enlighten others. Here are my 5 steps for making your dreams a reality.

1- Your attitude does matter.

I work a retail position and anyone who has never worked in retail won't understand how stressful it can be both to your body and mind. Your attitude can make it bearable or make you miserable. It is YOUR choice. I get frustrated and tired especially on an 8 hour shift but when I stay consciously aware of how I am feeling I can control how the shift is going to be. In my mind I remind myself to slow down, breathe (most important) and smile! Smiling, laughing and making light of things helps me to cope. People can be irritating to say the least and as anyone in customer service knows, you cannot allow yourself to take people personally or react defensively! You can but you will find yourself out of a job. I know my triggers and if I keep aware I can find myself enjoying my shift instead of dragging through it miserably.

2- Having a goal is a necessity.

"Not all who wander are lost" was a favorite quote of mine as to the outsider I look like a wanderer. I've gone from job to job appearing like someone who is a wanderer but I have actually been exploring different opportunities. That was all fine and good but it is time to get down to business and set my goals. I want to wind up at a specific destination but that is not possible if I don't aim at my direction.

3- Make a plan of action.

Dreams are fine but without a plan a dream is just an escape from your reality. What seems to be working for me is making daily plans of what I want to accomplish in my quest towards making my dream a reality. It might feel like taking baby steps but without taking baby steps you cannot get to where you can run.

4- Coping with Set-backs

Rarely do you find yourself on a smooth road on the journey to your dream. Set-backs are going to happen. How do you keep yourself from keeping on? Take the set-back and acknowledge it as temporary. Maybe it is happening to force you to re-assess your goal or maybe it is happening to help keep you on track by testing your strength. If something interrupts your journey it is perfectly okay to have a momentary meltdown. Cry, scream, get angry or whatever you need to do until the moment of self-doubt passes. Remember that even in the darkest moments there is always hope.

5- Look for Mentors

Your dream is uniquely yours but there are others out there that can serve as your mentor. Look for advice and guidance in those who stories inspire you. I love reading biographies because they always show me that no one's path to living their authentic self by way of fulfilling their dream was an easy journey. We are all flawed. We all have times where we struggle and are tested. It is the human experience. Whether you read about someone from history or someone alive today you can find that person (or persons) who inspire you and teach you how to make your dream a reality.

I hope that these 5 tips can inspire you to follow your dreams! Please leave me feedback on what keeps you working towards your goals or if you have achieved them, how you got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment